2019 Admissions into PhD programme inClimate Change and Water Resources (GRP-CCWR)
Call for Applications
(Full Scholarship Available)
The WASCAL Doctoral Research Programme in Climate Change and Water Resources (GRP-CCWR) is pleased to announce for application for its fourth batch of students to the study of Ph.D. Research Programme in West African Climate System at theUniversite D’Abomey – Calavi, Benin, under the Capacity Building Programme of West African Science Service Centre on Climate Change and Adapted Land Use (WASCAL),with funding from the German Ministry of Education and Research ( BMBF).
WASCAL is a wholly West African international organization with focus on academic and transdisciplinary research, building graduate-level scientific capacity and serving policy makers in West Africa with science-based advice on adaptation to climate change impacts and land use management. It cooperates with many agencies and universities in the region, providing a knowledge platform of excellence for its partners. WASCAL is funded by BMBF, multilateral and bilateral partners and its 11 West African member countries, namely: Benin, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, The Gambia, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal and Togo.
WASCAL’s mission is to provide information and knowledge services at the local, national and regional levels to West African member countries to cope with the adverse impacts of climate change. We do this through capacity building support to young West African scholars in fields of climate, natural and social sciences and by delivering climate and environmental services in member countries.
This Doctoral programme is made of:
- Four months of English language courses for Francophones at the University of Cape Coast in Ghana;
- Four months of French language courses for Anglophones at the University of Lomé in Togo;
- Six months of joint PhD courses related to climate change and water resources at
University of Abomey Calavi;
- A trip to WASCAL Competence Centre in Burkina Faso (Ouagadougou) for research and data processing;
- A six-month scientific trip to Germany or elsewhere in Europe, America, Asia or Africa if sponsored;
- Field and / or laboratory research for at least three academic years.
NOTE: Full 11 scholarships are available; in addition, 9 fee paying students will be accepted.
- Must be a citizen of WASCAL member countries (Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Cote d’Ivoire, Gambia, Ghana, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal and Togo)
- Must hold a Master’s degree with the Second Upper Class at least in one of the following fields or any other related fields:
Mathematics, Physics, Water Sciences, Soil Sciences, Sciences of the atmosphere
Application form and deadlines for sending by email
- A letter of motivation;
- A certified copy of each university degree;
- certified copy of the transcripts of each university degree;
- A thesis project to be refined during the six months of doctoral courses;
- Two letters of recommendation from professors or researchers (grade associate professor or senior researcher at least);
- A written commitment – by fees paying students- to pay registration and training fees in case of selection;
- A commitment to be available for the duration of training
This call for application is open from February 13th to March 29th, 2019. For further details, visit www.wascal.org or www.wascal-uac.org
Professor Julien ADOUNKPE